Saturday, April 13, 2013

Be the Change


The Ask: Soliciting funding for a Youth Leadership Camp this May 24-May 28th 2013

Peace Corps is an exercise in Patience and Perseverance. We come in with all of these expectations, especially me. Several people have told me that I need to lower my expectations. I need to become less of an optimist and more of a realistic optimist. I feel like I am beginning to understand that, especially with my last project as a Peace Corps volunteer.

I am trying to host a youth camp for 40 kids; I have mentioned this in previous blogs. I never could have imagined though how much work needs to go into this. I have to coordinate with other volunteers to make sure that their youth are still interested. I need to coordinate with Panamanian agencies for lectures and resources. And I need to fundraise both within country and back home to host the camp.

I believe all of this work is worth the effort. These 40 kids will be facing a lot in the next few years. They will be facing challenges that are in many regards cultural issues. Just in the province that I work in, 50 percent of new mothers are ages 17-21.  The poverty rate in panama is 36.8 percent, which means 4 out off every 10 Panamanians are living in poverty. And 54 percent of Panamanian children below 6 years of age are living in poverty. These youth face teenage pregnancy and poverty problems. This camp is Peace Corps Panama’s attempt to modify and empower these youth to become active participants in their futures by establishing goals and values. We want them to be well versed in family planning, sexual health, decision-making, self-esteem, and becoming leaders in their own communities.

I believe in these kids and I really believe that they will learn so much at the camp if they attend.

If you can help I would really appreciate it. I have received so much positive feedback from the US and Panama already that I really feel that we can do this!!

The donation page can be found at www.peacecorps.gov then click on donate to volunteer projects. The project is listed under Panama Peace Corps volunteer Chelsea Mackin’s name and is called “Gender and Development Youth camp.”
The following link works too: https://donate.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=donate.contribute.projDetail&projdesc=13-525-015

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. The positive feedback has made me cry several times, I have been so touched by everyone that has been compelled to donate!  But lets keep it coming!!!!

Sonia Esquibel
Crazy Stubborn Peace Corps Volunteer
Panama 2011-2013

I also wanted to include photos of the potential Venue!!!











No comments:

Post a Comment