Monday, August 26, 2013

Peace Corps Response: My New Job!


Hello blog readers,  

I was recently on a radio show here in Panama known as the Breakfast Show with Gerry D and Sandra Snyder and I happened to share this blog address on the air.

http://www.pbcpanama.com/index.php/this-week/friday The full show will only be available until this Friday, August 30th on their website.

 For those of you that were interested enough in Peace Corps Panama to find this address, welcome—I am glad that I could spark some interest in volunteer work in Panama and with the Peace Corps. To family and friends that continue to read this blog I need to share my current undertaking with you…  I have recently started a new Peace Corps adventure.  I am still working with waste management and Recycling in Panama, although I am starting in a new area of the country.  I am currently serving as a Peace Corps Response volunteer in Chitre, Herrera, which is 4 hours southwest of Panama City. My position is  “Response Recycling Coordinator.” Which means that I will be working with the municipal government and the ministry of education in a recycling pilot project to create recycling programs in 5 local schools.  I am also hoping to work with an environmental group at the local university to educate 15 university students how to teach about waste management and recycling so that they can reach local schools as well. I have signed on until February, but that date can change depending on how much work needs to be done.

I just got back to Panama last Monday and today was my first day in Chitre “on the job.” Peace Corps Response is a very interesting experience in that it is very independent. I couldn’t imagine a job being more independent than my work during my Peace Corps service, but it seems to be much more independent.  During my service, I was assigned to a community, three host families, and to work-counterparts.  Here in Chitre, coordinating meetings, finding agencies, etc. is all on me. It’s a bit intimidating, hopefully I can meet up with some other volunteers this week so they can help 'show me the ropes." 

Today I was able to visit Chitre’s open dump and it’s a disaster.  The “Landfill” is full of vultures, no lining for leachate, and no sign of improvement.  I actually visited the site with the director of municipal services and he has been working with this site for the last five years.  Under normal circumstances, Municipal waste collection is directly correlated with a countries income. In high-income countries, 10 percent of the municipal resources are spent in waste collection and 80-90 percent of resources are spent with waste management treatment. In low-income countries, it’s the opposite, with the great majority of resources spent on waste collection and very little spent on waste management treatment.  The situation in Chitre is bad, but the city’s dump doesn’t stand-alone; cities all over Panama including Panama City are facing the same environmental issues. Panama City’s open dump, Cerro Patacon has caught fire several times, most recently in the last 5 months.   The government’s reaction however is very hush-hush. No one wants to admit that waste management is a nightmare in Panama. Immediately after the fire began in March 2013, the Ministry of Health said that the air was very toxic. Although later that same day the Ministry of Health retracted their previous statements and said very little contamination would come from the fire.  Initially they were saying that the surrounding neighborhood of San Miguelito should be evacuated and then they only recommended evacuation for those with “compromised lungs.” Once the fire was under control, the government proceeded to give medals and honors to those that fought the “unpredictable blaze.” Cerro Patacon’s fire however was and will continue to be a time bomb that the government will have to find a solution to. The same is true for Chitre, currently though none of the representatives want to admit to the problem let alone contribute to its solution. Vamos a ver que pasara aca en Chitre. I have included photos of the open dump here in Chitre below:







I would also like to share about my boyfriend, Nate Arnold’s Latrine and Reforestation project. Nate for some reason does not want to ask friends, family, or family friends for help funding his Peace Corps Partnership Program Grant. He is hoping to get all 7,000 dollars funded from donors that are inspired to donate. Which is amazing and an impressive attempt to get his project funded, but I am not sure that it will work. For funding for projects of my own during my service I was emailing everyone that I knew through email, phone calls, facebook, and this blog. It isn’t to say that Nate won’t get his grant completely funded the way that he is choosing to do it, he probably can. I just think that if he used social media—more people would be aware of his project and more people would donate. He is currently trying to fund a daunting 7,000 dollars. Which in Panama seems like so much money, whereas in the states 7,000 dollars seems very possible.

So I am going to include the link to the Peace Corps donation page here to try and help Nate out: https://donate.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=donate.contribute.projDetail&projdesc=13-525-029

The Peace Corps is an incredible organization and I am proud to serve again as a Peace Corps Response volunteer here in Panama. The Peace Corps can be a challenge in that we are expected to do a lot with very little financial resources.  The Peace Corps is made up of human resources that identify problems in their community in health, agriculture, or the environment and dare to improve the conditions working “arm in arm” with community members. The amount of work that Nate is attempting to do will help 43 homes and 285 individuals, which is about 90 percent of the community. For 100 dollars you can help provide a latrine to a family. I hope several people are convinced to do so.  I have included a photo of Nate and I, to help put a face to the name. 



Hasta la proxima, 
Sonia 



No comments:

Post a Comment